You can view presentations from the event here
This event on World Suicide Prevention Day is for communications teams, media and interested partners. The event will be an excellent opportunity to learn about best practice when it comes to writing about or reporting on suicide, as well as to hear from those who have been personally affected by suicide. You will also hear from local organisations working within the community to prevent suicide and about the zero suicide strategy for the whole of Cheshire & Merseyside.
Speakers will include:
- Samaritans who will give a presentation on sensitive reporting of suspected suicide in the media, as well as talking about general best practice regarding suicide in communications
- Special guest – former professional footballer Clarke Carlisle will speak about his experience of depression and attempted suicide and his wife Carrie will also give a partner’s perspective
- Local organisations who run men’s mental health programmes in the community including Everton in the Community, State of Mind and James’ Place – a centre for men aged 18 and over offering help to individuals and their families who are in suicidal crisis.
- Media teams – TV, radio and press
- Communications teams
- Suicide prevention leads from local authority
- School/college staff
- Others who are responsible for media enquiries following a suspected suicide
N.B. There is limited availability for this event.