On Wednesday 7th July, over 280 partners from across Cheshire and Merseyside came together to discuss health inequalities and kick-start the subregion’s journey to become a Marmot Community.
The event was expertly chaired by Councillor Louise Gittins, Leader of Cheshire West and Chester Council and we were also pleased to welcome the Metro Mayor of the Liverpool City Region, Steve Rotheram who gave a short address.
Presentations followed on the ambition for improving population health in Cheshire and Merseyside, the impact of inequalities on children by Professor David Taylor-Robinson and an overview of social determinants of homelessness by Dr Mzwandile Andile Mabhala.
Our keynote speaker, Professor Sir Michael Marmot gave an inspiring presentation showing the latest data on life expectancy and health inequalities in Cheshire and Merseyside.
The presentations were very well received, with some excellent comments from participants including:
- “Looks like Cheshire and Merseyside has a real opportunity to take action and do the work, together – with the Marmot Community status”
- “Really looking forward to the “Marmot Land” workshop to be held in each Place! We need to harness this collective energy and anger”
- “Such an informative and interesting afternoon, thank you so much. Am leaving full of hope”
Please use the links below to download the presentations from the event.
Sarah O’Brien and Eileen O’Meara – The ambition for improving population health in Cheshire and Merseyside
Professor Sir Michael Marmot – Sharing data and highlighting system assets
Professor David Taylor-Robinson – Addressing the early origins of health inequalities
Dr Mzwandile Andile Mabhala – Analysis and overview of social determinants of homelessness in Cheshire, Merseyside and Manchester
Following the launch event:
- A workshop will be held in each local place across Cheshire and Merseyside facilitated by the Marmot team.
- A set of tools will also be developed to support local areas.
- The Marmot Team will work with the Champs Directors of Public Health and Population Health Board to identify key system priorities and a new dashboard to monitor progress.
- The Champs Support Team will communicate progress. Please let Jeni Lovatt-Quirke know firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to a Cheshire and Merseyside Marmot community distribution list.
- A large scale follow-on event with Sir Michael and the team will be arranged.
Some useful resources
Build Back Fairer – The COVID-19 Marmot Review/The Health Foundation