Following the recent release of updated NICE guidance documents, John Hampson, Lead for Medicines Management at Champs Support Team, has reviewed all updates and has produced a summary for each update.
John highlightes the below as most relevant to Public Helath and CCG's
- For CCGs – Technology Appraisals:- Eluxadoline for IBS (TA471), dimethyl fumarate for psoriasis (TA475) and tofacitinib for rheumatoid arthritis (TA480) are all thought to have a low cost impact.
- For LAs and Public Health : -(1) NG 74- “Intermediate care including reablement” is a key document for health and social care practitioners intended to outline the support and processes required for people at risk of admission to hospital and residential care, (2) PH38 – “Type 2 diabetes: prevention in people at high risk” – this is updated guidance but it may be worth commissioners reviewing the new section on intensive lifestyle programmes and how this sits with the current pathway.
- Also of interest are the Quality Standards QS156 – physical health of people in prisons and QS 157 HIV testing: encouraging uptake.
- For those working with children and young people, of interest will be NG76 “Child abuse and neglect” plus the updated CG89 “Child maltreatment: when to suspect maltreatment in the under 18s”.
- Finally, QS 159 covers the transition between inpatient mental health settings and community or care home settings.