The Cheshire & Merseyside (C&M) Directors of Public Health (DsPH) met for their system leadership meeting on Friday 24 May and the following items were discussed:
- DsPH approve the Champs Operational Delivery Plan 2019/21 – The paper was presented by Helen Cartwright and fully endorsed.
- Public health input into C&M Health Care Partnership (HCP) Five Year Strategy – Elspeth Anwar and Chris McBrien gave an overview on key population health elements to be included in the evolving HCP Strategy and DsPH agreed to explore partnering with the Kings Fund and Michael Marmot.
- C&M Primary Care Strategy - Tom Knight, Head of Primary Care for NHS England, discussed a draft of the new C&M Primary Care Strategy.
- Public health input into Cheshire & Warrington (C&W) Local Industrial Strategy (LIS) – The C&W Public Sector Transformation Board met and have agreed a people focused element for the LIS.
- Liverpool City Region Wealth and Wellbeing Programme – Alan Higgins and Rob Green updated DsPH on input into the LIS and presented a paper which mapped the interventions for health and productivity.
- C&M Making every contact count (MECC) communications and engagement work launched – Tracey Lambert and James Kirk updated DsPH on the launch of the MECC communications and engagement strategy and website. MECC campaign materials and resources are available via www.mecc-moments.co.uk
- LJMU workplan presented - Matt Ashton, lead DPH for strategic intelligence presented a draft workplan for LJMU which was discussed and will now be refined following DsPH comments.
- C&M ADPH Sector led improvement (SLI) report approved – Helen Cartwright presented an update paper that will be sent to the ADPH as part of the formal reporting on SLI.
- NHS England update – Julie Kelly updated on developments with the merger with NHS Improvement and circulated their “plan on a page” for the year ahead, linked to the C&M HCP.
- PHE NW update – Angela Hardman shared the monthly report for DsPH including; health protection updates, whole scale obesity causal mapping workshops and the Hepatitis C project in prisons.
The DsPH also shared items of good news:
- The C&M MECC programme was presented and well received at the NW Behavioural Science Symposium on Wednesday 22 May.
- The OVO Energy Tour Series professional cycling race took place in Hamilton Square in Wirral for the first time
- Cheshire West and Chester Council in partnership with Edsential CIC, the Welcome Network and Cheshire West Voluntary Action has been successful in gaining Department for Education funding to co-ordinate Holiday Activity and Food Clubs in west Cheshire over the 2019 summer holiday period, one of only eleven pilots nationally
- CWAC also have a new leader following the recent elections, Cllr Louise Gittins who previously held the portfolio for health and wellbeing in CWAC and chaired the Champs celebration event last year.
- DsPH Dr Muna Abdel Aziz, Warrington and Eileen O’Meara, Halton, presented at the recent Marmot event in Manchester on 1 May.
- Liz Bishop the new CEO at Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology will chair the C&M Health & Care Partnership Cancer Alliance group and is an advocate of prevention and early detection.
- A positive visit to St Helens was recently made by Duncan Selbie, CEO of PHE.