The purpose of this service is to give qualified advice and support to optimise medicines management in local authority, public health commissioned services across Cheshire and Merseyside.
Patient Group Directions (PGDs)
- To develop new and review existing PGDs on behalf of the LAs.
- To ensure that PGD development complies with legal requirements, national guidance and best practice.
- To ensure that current PGDs are up to date and comply with newly published clinical guidance.
- To provide general advice on any aspects of PGDs including those written by external providers (eg 3rd sector).
Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment (PNA)
- To provide strategic advice to LAs on the development of their PNAs.
- To ensure PNA development complies with legal requirements, national guidance and best practice.
- To provide answers to adhoc queries related to the PNA.
Local Drug Information System (LDIS)
- To co-ordinate the development of a local network to receive and disseminate information on drugs ( illicit substances and “legal highs”) across a broad base of partners across Cheshire and Merseyside.
- To co-ordinate the activities of a number of professionals from within the network to assess and formulate clinical responses to the data received.
Controlled Drugs Intelligence Network ( CD-LINs)
- To advise the Directors of Public Health and Social Care on their respective responsibilities and roles according to the CD-LINs in Cheshire and Merseyside.
- To take on future roles related to CD-LINs as agreed/ delegated by the DsPH.
Medicines and governance
- To advise on all aspects of medicines governance in public health commissioned services.
- To co-ordinate the setting up of a medicines governance group to review and advise on all aspects of prescribing.
- To respond to any adhoc queries related to any aspect of medicines use in Cheshire and Merseyside.
NICE guidance bulletin
To optimise implementation of guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) by producing a monthly bulletin which summarises the latest guidance (eg technology appraisals and clinical guidelines) and advises on the likely implications for CCGs, public health, local authorities and social care.
For further information please contact johnP.Hampson@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk